Thursday, October 30, 2008

Brian Grieger

Brian passed away just a few days ago.

I didn't know him, but he's been described by those who do as a friend and advocate of bicycling, and an expert mechanic / wheel guy. (And, he lived just off one of my favorite bicycling streets - the "Homer Loop." I've ridden right by many times, and never knew.)

Brian's family and friends have scheduled a reception and Remembrance Ride in his honor:

Natalie Grieger will hold an open house and Memorial Reception to honor Brian from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm on Saturday, November 1. The location is the Grieger home / Brian’s Pro Bike - 2422 N Haven Dr., Eagle, ID. (Near Ballantyne / Homer, north of Eagle)

The Brian Grieger Remembrance Ride will start that morning from Camel’s back park and finish at the Memorial Reception. The ride will depart from Camel’s back at 11:00 and will head to the Idaho Velodrome and Cycling Park. It will then depart from there at 11:30 and go the Grieger Home.

Team Dobbiaco/Boise Cycling Club & IO/Lost River Cycling are asking for a small ($5.00) donation from each rider to help us purchase a Velodrome block in Brian’s memory.

Natalie is thankful for the cycling community’s support and the love that has been expressed. She asks that those who wish to bring food bring appetizers for the memorial reception.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only met Brian once about four years ago when he helped me resolve a bike issue. I am still enjoying the fruit of his labor to this day.

Brian's obituary can be found here.

Anonymous said...

My condolences to Natalie. Huge loss Brian’s family to all of his friends .Big Brian was the best freind and mechanic you could have. Kind hearted and caring he consoled me when my dogs passed away, several times. We would talk about his and Natalie’s puppys and that that had passed Zabo, Tuz, Kitchi, Ouri (hope I did not mis-spell). I am not the only friend who will miss Brian, there are many lives he touched. My freind, my big brother I will miss you and the puppy play days, the coffe and goodies and the conversations. As Brian would say when anyone was leaving, “be good.” Boost

Anonymous said...

I photographed the ride and open house for Brian on Saturday. Here is a link to the images.

http://www.chrisbutler.us/client/brian/

Chris

Bikeboy said...

Thanks for posting that link to your photos, Chris. (NICE photos!)

"No man is an island." Sometimes I tend to start feeling pretty autonomous as a cyclist, since I don't ride with others regularly. It's nice to see the "cycling community" come together; too bad it's in memory of a departed friend.

Anonymous said...

Good article in today's Idaho Statesman.