Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words

I've been packing a small camera with me for many years.

(It's kinda like a pistol... I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I do not normally pack a pistol, by the way... I just hope I don't need it!)

The camera has come in very handy from time to time.

I've started a set of photos, all in the Boise area, all of scenes reached by bicycle. In fact, the bicycle is featured in many of the photos.

Click HERE to go to the photos.

You can view them individually in several sizes, or watch a slide show. My intention is to add more photos as I try to document the joy and satisfaction of bike transportation, so check back from time to time.

4 comments:

Apertome said...

Cool photos. I haven't quite figured out the most efficient way to carry a camera with me; it doesn't help that the small cameras I have aren't very good.

I use flickr too, I've added you as a contact.

Bikeboy said...

Thanks for the kind words, Apertome. I took a quick glance at your blog (including the photos); looks like an intriguing mix... I'll definitely check back when I can digest a little.

I used to carry a small point-n-shoot Yashica 35mm; nowadays there are a half-dozen manufacturers of the Altoids-size digicams. (I had a Casio for a couple years; recently "upgraded" to a Panasonic because I wanted the 28mm-equivalent wide lens.) A bigger camera, with a bigger lens, would take better photos no doubt... but it frequently wouldn't be with me.

When I'm bike-commuting, my sack lunch and camera are both in a fanny pack. When I'm just riding, I frequently don't take it... but I'm trying to change that. I don't wear the tight lycra shorts; the camera will usually fit in the pocket of my baggy shorts.

Anonymous said...

I've started making a point to have my camera with me when I ride. It's an Altoids-tin size oldie. I find that my Symbiot SportBack is ideal for carrying the camera along with other stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I found your blog searching for info re: riding our local bike trail with the speeders who like to "train" on it. Your photos are awesome--make me envious of being in such beautiful country. Of course, similar shots are I'm sure available here in the Sacramento Valley! Do you have problems in Boise with bicycle racers virtually running casual riders off your trails? We have a wonderful 30 mile trail along the American River which, unfortunately, yields itself to great training rides--at breaknect speed. I've contacted our county officials who feel their hands are tied--the 15 mph "speed limit" is virtually unenforcable they say. Any ideas or referances? Thanks! Patty