Friday, June 17, 2011

Bike Austerity

One of the compelling reasons to choose bicycle transportation is the relative economy. I love cycling because I'm frugal! It warms my heart that I haven't made a car payment, or bought commuting gas, for years and years, and my main expenses are patches and the occasional tire.

However, another guy at the office makes me look extravagant by comparison!

He seems to have a collection of several older "ten speeds" that he rides. (Actually pretty nice steel-frame bikes from back in the days when they had butted tubes and nice lugs... but he obviously is hesitant to upgrade any more than is absolutely necessary.)

I snapped a couple photos of his makeshift bike treatments.

In the first photo, you'll see how his worn out saddle has been "covered" - looks like with an old t-shirt held in place with a spring clip.



In the second photo, you'll see how he replaced some of the handlebar tape with a stretch bandage - you know, the kind that's used for taping a sprained ankle or gimpy knee. And it's held in place with duct tape. (NICE!! Red Green would be very impressed!) (Apologies are in order - the photo is a little blurry as it was snapped indoors without a flash.)

No comments: