Tuesday, September 18, 2007

L.A. drivers lose 72 hours per year in traffic

A study released today indicates Los Angeles has the worst traffic jams, where the average motorist spends 72 hours per year stuck in traffic.

(Click HERE to read the article.)

Runners-up (are they angrily demanding a recount?) are the Bay Area (CA) and the Washington, D.C. metro area.

72 hours, huh?

That's only three days! If somebody works 220 days per year, that's only about 20 minutes of lost time per day. They can live with that, can't they? Can't they burn up 20 minutes listening to their iPods, or yappin' on their cell phones, or hollerin' at the kids in the back seat?

Frankly, I wonder how the Treasure Vally Drive compares. 'Most every morning and afternoon, I-84 looks a lot like this:

Of course, the poor pathetic motorists won't take any responsibility. They get in their single-occupant vehicles and take their place in the queue... and grouse about how the gummint isn't mitigating their woeful situation. (As if they were forced to live 25 miles from the office, and drive alone, along the same route as used by 60,000 other SOV-drivers.) Jiminy! They're taxpayers, and they deserve 20 traffic lanes!

The TV jingle for the farm/ranch store always comes to mind (to the best of my faltering recollection):

"There's a price you pay, to get away... to live outside the bounds..."

Isn't that big traffic jam what the dude's singing about?

5 comments:

Ben said...

Let's start with 20 bike lanes. That would be sweet. Screw cars.

Anonymous said...

I have a confession- I drove today (first time in recent memory) but with the rain, kid to school and driving to Parma for work that was enough excuses.

db said...

Gotta do what you gotta do, Clancy.

(I rode in today, too. It just makes me miss my bike.)

Anonymous said...

I drove a friend's car the other night. I was cursing the trip the entire time. I absolutely HATE being in a car. I'm going to the Coast next month, and I know I'm going to go stir crazy in the car. I'm going to have to find a way to take my bike along so I can ride when I get there.

Bikeboy said...

I don't mind so much being in the car, Danielo... it's the TRAFFIC I can't stand. I hate sitting in traffic. (I borrow the Missus' minivan every now and then when I have some hauling to do, beyond the BOB trailer's ability.) I guess I'm like all the other drivers... I want everybody else off the road so I can have clear sailing!!
(-;