Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Four Thumbs Up!

Mackie and I went to the movies by bicycle last night!

We bundled her up with an extra blanket, due to the suddenly-seasonal weather. And the cheap movie house is pretty close... about a mile each way, I'm guessing.

We saw the 7:20pm showing of The Princess and the Frog.

The movie is geared to an audience slightly older than Mackie, I'm sure. The story isn't "Snow White" or "Cinderella" in its simplicity. But the characters are interesting and endearing, and the production quality is top-notch. Randy Newman wrote the score, but I was mildly disappointed that it didn't have more of his trademark irony. (I've been a Randy Newman fan for almost 40 years - scary!)

It was very loud! They could've cut the volume by 30%, and it would've been about right. (Mackie was holding her ears.)

It was my first movie trip with her. Interesting. It was almost impossible to coax her away from the video games in the lobby. (Even though she had no quarters!) She tried out every chair in the row we were sitting in. We had to make a restroom trip, despite the fact that we took care of that business just before leaving home. (I lurked in the hallway, like an overcoat guy, while she was in the Ladies' Room.) During the musical interludes, she got up a couple times and danced in the aisle. Since she wasn't much taller than the chair-backs, I figured she wasn't blocking anybody's view; I let her dance away! (Free bonus entertainment for the other moviegoers.)

I recommend the movie. I highly recommend going to this or ANY movie by bicycle! (I've parked my bike in the lobby numerous times; management seems good with it.)



2 comments:

Mark said...

Cute shot, thanks for showing how living without a car can be done while taking the little ones to the movies.

Apertome said...

Sounds like fun! Coincidentally, it looks in the shots like you are pulling her behind you, and also pulling the popcorn machine behind her! Now *that* would be something.