Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bike Lock : 50 lb. theorem

A couple weeks back, I was set to bicycle out to the airport to greet an arriving passenger. Knowing that my bike and I would be apart for at least a few minutes, I elected to take my lock. Normally it keeps the old beater-bike locked up outside; the regular bike lives inside. I unlocked it from the beater, and noticed something odd... lo and behold, somebody had cut one of the links - the chain was in 2 pieces! (The chain is inside a sleeve to prevent scratches, so it appeared intact on casual inspection.) All I can figure is, somebody cut it intending to swipe the bike, and the must've gotten spooked. It could've happened a day, or two weeks, earlier.

Getting something stolen - or even seeing an attempt - is always somewhat disheartening. What kind of human beings think it's morally okay to steal somebody else's hard-earned property? I regret living among such people.

(I have a friend who does expert welding - he repaired the broken link and the chain is back to its previous strength. Which is probably enough to dissuade a casual lowlife, but not a determined lowlife.)

I recently saw an interesting "rule" about bike locks - "The Fifty Pound Theorem."
- If you have a 50-pound bike, you don't need a lock because nobody will steal such a beast.
- If you have a 35-pound bike, a 15-pound lock is needed to keep it secure.
- If you have a 20-pound bike, you need a 30-pound lock.
(Bike and adequate lock will always equal 50 pounds.)

Not particularly scientific, but humorous.

No comments: