Tuesday, May 15, 2007

World of Bicycles

Is it the $3.20 gas that's causing it? Or the gorgeous weather? Or is it Boise Bike Week?

Whatever it is... the bike rack in front of the office is pretty much full-up today!
Compare with a photo I took in December 2004 (and very typical of mid-winter):(My bicycle is on both shots... in the very back. It just looks very lonely in December.)

I'm counting around 15 bikes today... that's 3-4% of the workforce. The motorist might scoff, and point out that 90% of the drones arrived in single-occupant motor vehicles. To which I'd retort, "Would you prefer that 15 more cars were queued up in front of you, as you do your bumper-to-bumper rush-hour commute thing?"

POWER TO THE PEDAL!

My friend Bob invited me to come get some free tomato plants last night. I surprised him by showing up bike-trailer enabled. It's a bee-yoo-tee-ful thing. (I'm thinkin' I can almost certainly go all week without ever getting in the wife's Family Truckster.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have notice a few more bikes , but not many. I am the only one who consistently rides all yearlong. We are a small office so our percentage is at 20%. (I also get to keep mine inside.)

Apertome said...

Wow, that's a cool trailer.

I haven't seen anyone else riding to work in my building, but I have seen a few more cyclists in general. However, just as it really got warm, Indiana University's classes let out for the summer and most of the students left, so they aren't around to ride.

Anonymous said...

We have a few more in our office building bike room, but the real increase was last week with the warm weather (I prefer colder). I have noticed that you tend to see different amounts of riders on the road depending on when you ride to work.