Monday, May 21, 2007

Gas Notes

Riding a bicycle for transportation just keeps getting better and better!

"Gasoline prices soared to levels never seen before as even the inflation-adjusted price for a gallon of unleaded topped the 1981 record spike in price that had stood for 26 years. And higher prices could be on the way as Americans get ready to hit the road for the Memorial Day holiday and the start of the summer driving season."

(Click HERE to link to the story at CNN Money.)

I bought gas on Saturday. At the tail end of a 140-mile motorcycle "joy ride" with some friends, I had to put about 10 bucks' worth in the tank. (Small price to pay, I s'pose, for 3 hours of pleasure. It would really suck if I had to buy gas for something as lame as driving to and from work!)

My daughter lamented that her car's tank is almost empty, and she is facing the terrifying prospect of filling up. She started a new job in January and has been bike-commuting almost 100% of the time. It turns out that January was the last time she gassed up her car, too. I tried to provide some comfort and reassurance... told her she could probably afford 3 or 4 tanks a year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My driving has been for recreational activities outside of Boise thus a need to purchase gas. Myself, wife and kids go camping a majority of the weekend May-Sept. so it will be hard to avoid not purchasing some expensive gas.(Last summer I ended up in Praire and bought a few gallons at the $4.00 mark)

My other fuel addicted vice is waterskiing. Once or twice a week but the cost are shared between 4 or 5 people.

I did ride today and what a down poor the rain was.

db said...

Ooof, been a rough couple days on blogspot, no? Half the time I try to get here, I get the "Page/server not found" message. Hope they fix that soon.

Gas prices are only gonna go higher, folks. I'm hearing some ugly predictions for Memorial Day weekend, which makes me glad that I'm staying home for the weekend. I am trying to train for the Bob Lebow century in a couple weeks, so I hope to do as much biking as possible.

I gave myself Monday off from bike commuting after running a very tough race on Saturday, but I got back on track Tuesday. Even when my body's not at peak energy levels, I really enjoy the ride in.

I just missed the rain on the ride home Tuesday -- started home after it had drenched the areas south of the river. That always makes some of the tight turns, like the ones on the Mitchell hill, interesting. No wrecks so far for me this year, which means I just jinxed myself. :0