Friday, May 25, 2007

Addicted

The missus sometimes accuses me of being addicted to cycling.

Addict (Websters): "to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively <addicted to gambling>."

Perhaps she's right. I've got the Bike Habit at this point in my existence. If I miss a day (and the last day I missed was early September of last year), it kinda puts me in a funk. I love the way cycling makes me feel, both physically and emotionally. (And the smack addict or crackhead would make that same declaration.)

Maybe this is a cop-out... but aren't the vast majority who choose automotive transportation also addicted? Haven't they surrendered themselves? If you choose to live so far from your destinations that the only practical mode of transportation is single-occupant motor vehicle, haven't you made a decision to "habitually" use the SOV? When gas prices go from $2 to $3.50 in a matter of weeks, and demand just keeps going up, isn't that an indication of a national addiction, just like George W. Bush says? (Dubya is famous for putting his foot in his mouth, but it's hard to argue with that declaration.)

Check out these photos. They were captured off the ACHD Traffic Cam on 5/17, 5/18, and 5/24, between 5:15pm and 5:25pm. Are they not photos of people "surrendering themselves habitually"? Some of the same vehicles - and drivers - are likely in all three photos. Check the traffic-cam any Monday thru Friday at around that time... the only thing that will change from day to day is the weather.

It's probably bad to be addicted to anything. But bike-addiction seems relatively benign, compared with drugs, or alcohol, or gambling... or driving that SOV.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am addicted. My wife thinks I have a defect, because I am always talkin about gas prices and the need to reduce driving. I also have an addiction for buying used bikes. Sometimes to resell, sometimes for parts and sometimes just because it is too good of deal to pass up.

Anonymous said...

"Addiction" implies the thing one is doing is harmful to the self. That's why I call drivers "car addicts," and why I do NOT consider cyclists to be addicts.

It's always easier to drive the car, just as it's always easier to down a fifth of whiskey instead of dealing with the termination notice from the power company.

Bikeboy and Clancy, you are NOT addicts.

Anonymous said...

Danielo, Thanks for the reassurance.
I hauled home a old Kona MTB to turn into a single speed. I did it with my Xtracycle. It was an impromptu buy and I just strapped the front wheel into the load swallowing pocket and rode home.

So maybe not a fuel addiction but a bike hobby run afoul.