Tuesday, May 17, 2011

BBW Diary - Days 1 and 2

I might as well make note of my bicycling over the course of Boise Bike Week 2011. By the end of the week, I'll know if anything was out of the routine and ordinary.

Day 1 - Sunday

In the morning, I rode to church and back. For years, I had an early meeting and so I needed to arrive independently of my family, and always rode the bicycle. As of fairly recently, I no longer attend that early meeting, but church is barely over a mile away over flat terrain; I can't bring myself to ride in the car (even though the car is making the trip, with or without me). Maybe on rainy nasty days...

In the afternoon, I had another meeting at the church - Scout Committee. It was somewhat cold and rainy, but just the same I took the scenic route, to get a few extra miles in. But I ended the day with only about 8 miles.

(In the evening, I rode in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster - a fairly rare occurrance for me. We rolled across town - maybe 12 miles round trip - to a family gathering. There were 6 of us in the vehicle, so it almost rose to the level of efficient transportation.)

Day 2 - Monday

It was pouring rain at go-to-work time! I busted out the Gore-Tex pants; the last time I wore 'em was last year sometime. Put some grocery-store plastic bags over my shoes. (I really oughtta get some decent shoe covers.) My efforts paid off - I was dry when I got to the office.

It was nicer in the afternoon at go-home time. No rain, insignificant wind. (Rather than go on a fitness/recreation ride in the early afternoon, as is typical, I worked on through and left at 4:30 or so, to run an errand.) Today is my son's birthday - I rode to the bicycle store and got him a blinky back light and frame-fit pump. (He's riding to work himself, on a lot of days.) I finished the day with 15+ miles.

(Other obligations precluded me from participating in any of the official Boise Bike Week scheduled events. BUMMER! I really wanted to go hear about the Vogel family's 3-year bike adventure from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego!)

No comments: