Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gettin' My Groove Back

When I told my friend "Woody" (who's also a cyclist) I hadn't been in the saddle for 35 days, he said, "Oh, man! You're startin' over!"

Here's how the start-over has gone, so far.

Friday - 6 miles (after work).
Saturday - 9 miles.
Sunday - 3.5 miles (just to church and back, and to a friend's in the neighborhood and back).
Monday - 12.5 miles.
Tuesday - 15 miles.
Wednesday (today) - at least 18 miles. It's also the first day I actually "dressed down" for the occasion, putting on my cycling shorts. (And the lightweight Gore-tex jacket, which came in handy in a spring rain shower.)

I also stepped on the scale for the first time in almost 2 months. I'd gained 5 pounds, without even trying! Ouch! That hurts. It'll take a bit more effort to shed that blubber, than it took to put it on.

Unless something weird happens, I'll be well on my way to form by the end of April.

Yeah - it's all coming back to me! All the things that I love about transportation cycling. What's not to love about it?

And once again I'm riding past long queues of people sitting in their SOVs, burning their $3.50 gas. Glad I'm not them!

1 comment:

Bikeboy said...

20.15 miles yesterday! Woo-hoo!

(But I feel like I'm pushing a little hard... may back off just a tiny tad. I'll shoot for mostly 15-mile days for the rest of the month. Perhaps if the sunshine beckons over the weekend, my resolve will weaken.)