Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Remembering fallen cyclists

Here's an interesting and meaningful event to participate in - the Ride of Silence.

Wednesday, May 20. In Boise, it begins at Camel's Back Park at 6:30pm.

"Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves. ... The ride aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways."

It's held simultaneously at many locations; click HERE for more information.

I s'pose I'm fortunate that I've not lost a single close personal friend to a bicycling fatality. Some would say that's because I don't have any friends. (And I confess, I rarely ride with other people. And my good friends are generally not enthusiastic cyclists. Their loss!)

I could ride in memory of Barry Bastian. Barry was a father / husband / farmer out in Canyon County. Six years ago, on a beautiful late-spring day, Barry was riding his bike along the side of a rural road when he was overtaken by a farm truck that had a spraying arm sticking out on the right side. James Delfino, the driver, didn't realize there was a problem, or that he had killed Barry, until the boom whacked some cars on down the road. (Barry's brother is a dear friend of mine, although I never met Barry.)

I could ride in memory of Sarah Howard. We should not forget Sarah. She's the mother / wife / oncology nurse / cyclist who was stopped on Overland Road on her bike, back in October 2007. She was waiting for a green light, when she was plowed into from behind by Erika Hanson, who was driving her Hummer while impaired on narcotics.

(Hat-tip to bob t for pointing me at this...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting about this. I didn't know about it, but will ride for my friend, now gone 6 years:

http://bicycleaustin.info/justice/slave.html

bob t said...

Seven of us turned out for the Ride of Silence in Boise this year. We had an uneventful ride with only one upset motorist who could not get around us as we passed through the busy Hyde Park area. Nothing major, just some yelling as he turned down a side street.

In light of recent incidents and with better publicity hopefully we will have a larger group next time.