Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Tortoise yet?

No doubt you're familiar with the old fable about the tortoise and the hare.  I've even commented in the past about the "hare" nature of motorists during rush hour, as the light turns green and they blast down the road to be the winner of the race - to the next red light.  It's actually quite amusing to watch, as I amble alongside in tortoise-like fashion.

By contrast, the tortoise is never in much of a hurry... but he keeps that steady pace faithfully, and in the story, at least, he ends up the winner.

I was never a "hare" cyclist, even at my peak, but these days I content myself by self-comparing favorably with the tortoise.  I've been at it for awhile now.  In fact...

This week (Boise Bike Week) I rolled over 2000 bicycle miles for the year 2015.

Not a big deal, actually.  I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of other area cyclists have ridden that far and more.

However... this is my 30th consecutive year of riding at least 2000 miles.  (The first year was 1986.) Nowadays I occasionally get passed by a "hare" cyclist who wasn't even born 30 years ago.  I always rationalize, "Let's see how he's doing 30 years from now.  I bet he's slowed down a bit, too!"

No comments: