Saturday, September 8, 2012

Panhandlin'

I'm walking out the door, headed for the Idaho "Panhandle." (That's up north.)

Today I'll drive to Plummer. (Yeah, I know - driving is sort of a downer, but it's really the only practical way to get myself, the bike, the BOB trailer, and my gear up north. The wife is kindly loaning me her Family Truckster for the week.)

Tomorrow I'll embark on a 4-day bicycle adventure up the Coeur d'Alene Trail. Day 1 will be about 50 miles to Pinehurst, where I'll pitch my tent. Day 2 will be on up to Mullan (and likely the Montana state line, just so I can brag that I was there), then back to Pinehurst. Day 3 will be local riding in the Pinehurst / Kellogg / Wallace area - lots of mining heritage up that way. Day 4 will be back to Plummer. And then if I still feel like pedaling - and I hope I will! - on Day 5 I'll drive up to Avery and ride an up-and-back on the Route of the Hiawatha.  Then - of course - it's back to reality.

I've never been on the Coeur d'Alene Trail, but it's supposed to be world-class bicycle touring - 71 miles of smooth asphalt Nirvana winding through gorgeous forest scenery. The family rode the Hiawatha many years ago; it was fantastic and I'm excited to return.

The weather report is "iffy" - they're forecasting possible thunderstorms or showers on the first couple days. Hopefully I'm prepared, as long as it's not a downpour, and heavy rain seems unlikely in early September.

I'll report back when I return, and if I get a chance I'll post some updates from the road. And with that I wish myself a bon voyage. I'll try to stay alert, safe, and responsible.

1 comment:

Clancy Anderson said...

Have fun.... My brother and a few friends are doing the 170 mile loop right now. Sunday will be from Avery to Saint Maries