Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How long is a new bike new?

I hit the 1000-mile mark on my "new" bike today. It still feels new to me, although I regularly get teased for not cleaning it. (Yeah, I should do that. It would probably enhance the riding experience. It's just one of those things I don't get around to often enough.)

It took a little over 3 months. That would be embarrassing during prime riding season... but since it's winter, and since the doc ordered me off the bike for a month, I guess that's not too bad.

2 comments:

Apertome said...

I got my LHT in August of '08 ... it still feels new to me.

I think it depends on the bike. With a bike that isn't that great in the first place, the new bike novelty wears off quickly. With a bike you really love, it sticks around for a while.

Clancy said...

Apertome, I totally agree. My Xtracycle's nickname is Old Faithful.

Kinda funny this came up as I just purchased a brand new bike. Up until now, I have bought used bikes mostly cause I like tinkering with them. But I needed a MTB for riding with my son and the foothills. I looked and looked on Craigslist, but never found a bike to my liking. The new bike just arrived yesterday from Bikesdirect.com. The specs are pretty good for the price. I rode it to the office today to test my bike setup skills. Obviously with the chunky tires, it will not be a favorite commuting bike.