Friday, December 18, 2009

Finished for the Year

I've done all the cycling I'm going to do in 2009. (5784 miles for the year, accumulated over 339 days of riding... not too bad.)

"Hey, wait a minute!" you say. "How can you stop, when there are still days left in the year? What kind of Bike Nazi are you??"

It's not by choice.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in August. Which wasn't much of a surprise - there is a huge genetic predisposition to prostate cancer in my family. Which in a way is a good thing... since I halfway expected it, I've been getting annual checks for probably 15 years, and this year my number came up.

Prostate cancer is a big deal. More men die from it, than women die from breast cancer. But detected early, it is very treatable.

On December 15, I fell under the knife of the da Vinci Surgery Robot, piloted by a very
capable surgeon. It is some amazing technology... although it's considered a major surgery, I was up walking in less than 24 hours, and was released from the hospital in less than 2 days. I took a few days off from work, but will be back Monday - riding the bus.

I haven't yet discussed bicycling with my doctor, although he knows it's somewhat of a compulsion for me. The topic will come up Monday, no doubt, and I expect he'll say 6 weeks off the bike, I'll counter with 4 weeks, and we'll compromise at 5 weeks.

I'll get the pathology report on Monday as well... their best guess as to whether the surgery totally eradicated the cancer. I expect the prognosis to be positive, and expect to keep cycling for many years.

YOU MEN - if you're over 40, get checked! The PSA (blood) test is quick and inexpensive, and early detection could save your life, like I'm sure it has mine.

---

UPDATE 12/21: EXCELLENT NEWS!

Pathology report: "no capsular penetration or extraprostatic extension identified." In layman's terms... there is every reason to believe that the tumor was completely and successfully removed.

The doc cleared me to resume total normal activity 2 weeks following the surgery. But suggested just to be on the safe side, I might want to give the bike a month off. I'm good with that.

I am very blessed.

12 comments:

db said...

Just got my PSA done on Wednesday. It is important.

Hope your prognosis is good, Bikeboy. You've got too many more miles to rack up.

I'm finishing with more than 3,000 miles this year, which I'm really happy with. Hopefully, the total will increase every year.

Apertome said...

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. Glad you caught it early, and I hope they got all of it. Scary stuff ... get well soon.

Clancy said...

All better to be safe than sorry. I am still under 40, but I will be on the testing bandwagon in a few years.

Heal up fast.

bob t said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Look forward to reading whatever postings you have time for.

I agree with the importance of prostate checks. It's been a part of my annual physical for several years.

Unknown said...

Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Ill have you in my thoughts.

Scott said...

I'm glad your vigilance paid off. You'll beat this. I'm pushing 40, so I guess it's time to take my relationship with my doctor to the next level.

I'll finish the year with 2700-ish miles, hampered by a new job in a new, unfamiliar part of the country, and entirely too much time travelling abroad.

Here's to an early Christmas present of total cancer eradication.

Bikeboy said...

ALL - your kind thoughts are truly appreciated. I continue to have what I consider a near-miraculous return to "normalcy."

When all is said and done, the greatest gifts we can have are good health, loving family, and loyal, compassionate friends.

Anonymous said...

Hey bikeboy, have you considered riding some sort of recumbent? The weight is spread out over more area than just two little sit bones. Check with doc and then go to bentrideronline.com to find out what you can ride.

B

Bikeboy said...

UPDATE - EXCELLENT NEWS!

Pathology report: "no capsular penetration or extraprostatic extension identified." In layman's terms... there is every reason to believe that the tumor was completely and successfully removed.

The doc cleared me to resume total normal activity 2 weeks following the surgery. But suggested just to be on the safe side, I might want to give the bike a month off. I'm good with that.

I am very blessed.

Scott said...

Merry Christmas! I'm thrilled for you. You could always use the time for tuning.

BoiseStew said...

Just read the news. Hope all goes well and you can throw the leg over that new bike soon.

When you're all better, we'll have to celebrate with a ride out to Ben's Crow Inn.

Clancy said...

Congrats. Vigilence is the key with Prostate Cancer.

Did you tell your doctor you have that fancy seat with the "man cutout"?