Friday, June 26, 2009

Africanized Killer Blackbirds!

I was riding on Warm Springs Avenue near the golf course today, and was suddenly lit upon by a couple of very aggressive blackbirds, squawking and dive-bombing me!

Red-wing blackbirds are notorious for fiercely defending their territory and their nests, particularly this time of year. All I can figure is I must've strayed a bit too close. But these ones seemed particularly determined; I bet I'd gone a quarter-mile before they finally backed off.

It must have been quite a sight to a bystander - birds swooping down on a cyclist many times their size who's riding along and swatting at the air with one hand and crying out, "I'm sorry - okay? I'm sorry!"

(Photo lifted from utahbirds.org)

2 comments:

Bob T said...

I saw something in the news earlier this week about a similar situation in another part of the country. I don't recall the type of bird, but what was interesting is that it only attacked men and left women alone.

Scott said...

I rode by a roadkill this week, and 3 buzzards waited until the last second to hop away. But only a few feet away. Then they sat there and glared at me like, "You aren't going to finish that, are you?" I avoided eye contact and kept pedaling.