Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day!

Isn't it great?!!  We've somehow kept our planet together for another 365 days, and arrived at another Earth Day.

This year, in recognition of the auspicious occasion, President Obama will take Air Force One down to the Florida Everglades, where he's likely to read off the teleprompter about how the oceans are rising due to our carbon-burnin' ways, and urging legislation, treaties, etc. as a solution.  (I sincerely hope that many, many people observe the irony.  Perhaps Algore, the Al Sharpton of Global Warming, is jetting someplace else to deliver impassioned rhetoric.)

I've commented on Earth Day before.  I believe we have a responsibility to be good stewards of our resources, but I somewhat resent being lectured to by flaming hypocrites (pun intended).

Despite all our problems and the supposedly-deteriorating environment, this is still the planet I choose as home!

Allow me to share some of the lyrics from a Harry Nilsson tune, "The Most Beautiful World in the World":

You're a scary old place out there, world
But I couldn't be happy without you
And I swear all my thoughts are about you
The most beautiful world in the world...


You're mountains when you're mad
You're rivers when you're sad and those deep blue seas
I love you for your snow, your deserts down below
I love the way you wear your trees...


The most beautiful world in the world
And though there are times when I doubt you
I just couldn't stay here without you.


Take some time today, to enjoy the beauty of this amazing, wonderful orb.  And renew your determination to minimize your impact.  Leave the place as nice as you found it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

supposedly-deteriorating environment? wow! if you don't know at this point, you don't want to know.

I'm sure you don't really care, but you just lost one of your 12 readers.

Bikeboy said...

Bummer! When you write, and your readership drops by 8% overnight, some introspection is in order, no?
:-O

When somebody says something I disagree with, I plug my ears and yell "La-la-la-la!" at the top of my voice!!
(-;

(Nah - just funnin'. I read stuff I disagree with every day, and the next day I go back and read something else I disagree with.)

Supposedly deteriorating environment. Worldwide, it's likely getting worse. You always hear that McDonald's is cutting down the rain forest to raise more beef. The air pollution in some of those big Asian cities - Beijing, Mumbai, Shanghai - is unhealthful! There are small continents of discarded plastic and tsunami flotsam, out in the open ocean. This morning on the Drudge, it says our earth-raping ways are now causing earthquakes! That'll push silly stuff like "the environment" to the back burner, huh?!!

There is, however, a lot that we have no control over, and even Environmental Superheroes like Algore, Jon Carry, and Chairman Obama can't control. Read up on 1816 - "The Year Without a Summer." The Tambora volcano erupted in a manner that puts Mount St. Helens to shame, and blocked out most of the sunlight for a year.

But closer to home... compared with when I was a child, the air is usually cleaner, the water (Boise River) is definitely cleaner, the (remaining) open lands of the foothills are better protected.