Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy 2014!

I hope our new year finds you healthy and happy.

I'm starting the year off with a cold. Went to bed at 9pm New Year's Eve, and again last night. (But it'll get better.) In between the two early bedtimes, I couldn't resist the sun, the blue sky, and the dry pavement - went riding. 25 motorcycle miles. And 10 bicycle miles (riding to and from Mom's place, where we watched a football game together). While motorcycling, I bet I passed 50 bicyclists, who were obviously out for their New Year's club ride. Good for them!

I ended up riding 352 days last year, and 5758 miles. Not too bad for an old fat man, I s'pose. Hopefully 2014 will be another good year for cycling.

Newsworthy (?) - California has passed a statewide "3 feet to pass law." You are now required by law to give a cyclist at least 3 feet of space as you pass. In theory, that sounds commendable. But in practice, it's impractical. First of all, as Clancy has pointed out, it's not enforceable (unless somebody in a car hits somebody on a bicycle, or the cyclist has a video camera). We don't all have yardsticks. For another thing... if somebody passes at 20mph and gives you 3 feet of berth, that's good. At 65mph, that would be scary! If it makes people aware, I guess that's a good thing.

The IRS actually decreased the motor vehicle mileage rate for 2014! Has that ever happened before?? Last year they said it cost 56.5 cents per mile to drive a car; this year it's 56 cents.

Other interesting new-year news...

In Colorado, you can now buy recreational reefer. And apparently after day 1, the demand is high (pun intended)... which has caused prices to skyrocket. (I saw where reefer that was selling for $25 - to medical recipients - in 2013 is now selling for $70.) I suspect as the novelty wears off, the demand will level off as well, and supply will increase.

In Oregon, new mothers can now legally take their placenta home from the hospital. "Why?" you ask. Well, DUH... to eat it! Admittedly, I've never been a mother, but to me that just seems totally creepy and grotesque!

No comments: