Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gas - up 30 cents in a month!

I must confess feeling a bit of unrighteous schadenfreude toward motorists as gas prices spiral upward at an alarming rate. The news talking heads ask people, "How high will gas prices go before you curtail your vacation plans?" Four bucks? Five bucks?

Lately, rather than going on an afternoon bike "loop" ride as is my custom (in lieu of lunch break), I've been leaving a little earlier and taking the scenic route home. I ride past one of the cheaper gas stations in town, and it's been a little startling to see the price creep up - sometimes a nickel or more in a day! Mamma mia! It's obviously particularly hard on the folks who drive big heavy "prestige" vehicles, but I guess you should expect to pay something to project all that image.

One valid theory is that gas isn't getting more expensive - the dollar is decreasing in value.

Selfishly, I hope they don't go too high - gas prices affect the price of all goods and services. Plus, I've got some travel plans for this summer, both solo and with the family. And it's not all on the bicycle!

1 comment:

Will K said...

Not all of my travel is on bicycle either...I have a folding bike that I keep in my trunk, and ride a much as possible. My commute is so long though that I have to drive a portion of every day. So I hope that gas doesn't get too high.