Thursday, July 28, 2011

National [Bike] Night Out

No... it's not an opportunity for me to announce that I'm gay. (Ha!)

N.N.O. is, according to the website, "an effective, inexpensive and enjoyable program to promote neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships in our fight for a safer nation."

And - it's almost upon us again! Tuesday, August 2.

I'm participating! A neighborhood group has invited me to come and talk about bicycle safety. An active member, who is very interested in bicycle safety for various reasons, heard me on Doug McConnaughey's "Weekend Idaho" radio program a few weeks back. And apparently my wild-eyed zealotry didn't seem totally nonsensical to her.

I'm even invited to enjoy some potluck beforehand! Sweeeeeeet! (I love to "fuel up"!!)

If things go according to plan, I'll share some notions about bike safety with the group for 7 or 10 minutes, and then entertain questions and discussion. I'm really looking forward to it. And, unless the temperature is oppressively hot, I hope for Mackie to tag-a-long with me, because there are 3 or 4 playgrounds in the neighborhood, that we haven't visited yet. We can do all of that, and still be home before dark!

(I love the concept of promoting neighborhood spirit. We've lost a lot of that, just during my lifetime. When I was a kid, we knew pretty much everybody within a half-mile radius. Now I'm barely acquainted with my closest neighbors. We all tend to just hunker down in our bunkers any more. Of course, unlike driving a car, riding a bike at least gives me an opportunity to say "hello" when I ride by and see a neighbor out-of-doors.)

No comments: