Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Here's to Good Health

I've had some sort of stomach bug for the last 4 or 5 days. I've not been "down," but I've been a little "out." I'd blame it on the hot weather, except that other family members were describing similar symptoms a day or two earlier; I likely inherited a bug from them.

Today, it was gone! I went on an afternoon bike ride in the 90-degree weather and felt like a weight had been lifted! I rode furiously into the hot headwind with boundless energy! My cooling system - augmented with plenty of water along the route - functioned flawlessly! I was at the top of my game! (For an old, fat guy, of course...)

By contrast, my friend Dan Foreman was laid to rest last week.

Dan was probably 8 years younger than me, but looked older. For years, he had dealt with the symptoms of severe diabetes, which he inherited. He walked with a cane and a prosthetic leg from the knee on down. When he was home, he'd go wheelchair, instead. Nothing of a physical nature was easy for Dan. Ride a bike? Fuggeddaboudit!

Dan made the most of his situation. He was seemingly always cheerful; I never heard him complain about his plight. A great example.

Perhaps it's a blessing to occasionally deal with illness. Sometimes we "don't know what we've got, 'til it's gone."

May I always recognize what a blessing it is, to have excellent health. To have the ability to get on my bike and ride 20 or 30 or more miles. Lots of folks can't do that.

(Disclaimer: That's a photo of Charles Atlas, not me. Although we look enough alike to be identical twins! haha)

No comments: