Monday, September 15, 2008

Mileage DOWN this month

Sorry for the extended silence - I hope my readers/friends haven't lost interest. (That happens quickly, in our attention-deficit-disorder society.)

For ten days this month - from 9/2 through 9/11 - I was off on my annual MOTORCYCLE adventure. (I bicycled on 9/2 before I left, and on 9/11 after returning, but completely missed 8 days.) Now I'm back in the saddle again, and it feels great.

I don't know if it's related, but it probably is - after I've not bicycled for a few days, I have a tendency to get really BAD leg cramps, particularly in my hamstrings (back of thighs). When combined with sleeping in a small tent that severely limits mobility, that's a bad combination. I spent a couple nights sweatin' and groanin', and anxiously hoping the cramps would subside. (Which they always do after a few minutes.) I can't help but think it's a change in physical activity level, combined with a reduction in water intake. Normally, I probably drink 4-6 quarts of water per day; that drops WAY off when I'm motorcycling, although I try to make an effort. (A water faucet isn't always right at hand.)

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. The adventure was fantastic... my path took me to Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and back home through Utah again. For interested parties, my favorite photos can be seen HERE.

Since I got back, I ran 35+ miles worth of bike-errands on Friday and took my granddaughter on a sweet 15-mile Greenbelt ride on Saturday. I hope to get back into the groove here. (Although frankly, if it weren't for the finances, I could probably see myself spending 6 months each year on the road on that motorcycle. Maybe someday...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still here and looking forward to future postings.

db said...

Welcome back. Glad your trip was safe and fun.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back!